Starting out with a Blob…
The first thing was to make a list of what to do
– Get the blob insured.
– Write a risk assessment and method of operating the blob.
– Speak to insurers again.
– Find a location to run the blob.
– Get equipment to run the blob.
– Practice running the blob.
Our first day as Bearded men adventures on Llyn Gwynant firing people off the Blob
Once I made a list, I kept ticking off jobs I’d completed and added new jobs to the list until it was the big blob day!
The first day was a whirlwind! Starting at 5am and getting off the water at 8:30pm. A long day, but however, it was a SUCCESS!! Not so much financially, as we may have outpriced our selves and only managed two paying customers, this did not deter us. In the afternoon, we got our salesman Fletch to put the word out that the Blob was free in the afternoon, and sure enough we had three groups sign up. This was a win just because we caused interest and excitement which brought the crowds. Sure enough the next day we had customers paying including a few return blobbers from the Saturday.
Over the next four weekends, we preserved through low numbers, high winds and stormy weather and had the blob operating every Saturday and Sunday. After the four weekends of small amounts of participants, we had to stop running it as an open event as financially we couldn’t work it the way we hoped. Even though we were disappointed that it didn’t succeed there where so many positives to take from what we had made so far. We realised;
– we had our first activity insured and able to run.
– we had created a name for Bearded men adventure on Facebook and Instagram.
– we had people inquiring for stag weekends.
– we had the start of business with identity, a brand and the knowledge we could run great activities in North Wales.
So starting out with a blob ended up giving us the confidence and all we needed to start our adventurous stag and hen do business. Lesson learnt to go for it what’s the worse that can happen.
Our leaflet form the summer of 2018.